Friday, May 1, 2009

Last week.

In class, my teacher was reviewing some of our work, when she called me up and told me:

- "Pink, it's really amazing. When I demonstrate these techniques you appear very distracted - "
- "Yeah, I know, I space out a lot."
- "Yes, you do! But you know what's really amazing? In class you seem like you're in your own little world, but then you go home and do an excellent job on everything. I don't know how you do it."
- (to my own surprise) "...I guess it just happens..."

It's odd; I was never even aware of such a thing. I am very easily distracted, but I can follow directions exactly, and I remember very minute details I didn't even realize I was paying attention to at the time. 

I guess having a brain wired like this isn't such a bad thing. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is really interesting to me. When my (now-teenage!) NT daughter was small, we homeschooled. We started when she was about 5 years old. That whole year, whenever I read her a story or anything out of a book, she'd get up and walk around the room, and look at everything. I started to get really upset with her over it, because I thought she wasn't paying attention.

So one day, I said, "Hey, you know, I feel really disrespected when you walk around the room like this and don't listen to me," to which she replied, "I AM listening, " to which I replied, "Prove it!" She then proceeded to tell me, in great detail, what I'd just read AND she ended by bringing out a conclusion that was not at all obvious from what I'd read.

She was a little kid who just needed to walk around and look at everything. Being NT, she outgrew it. Being an Aspie, I've never outgrown looking around at everything!

Powered by WebRing.