Tuesday, October 27, 2009

"I'm not strange, I'm just me"

I just came across this video, My Crazy Life, and it really made my day. The video focuses on the daily life of a 14-year-old boy, Reuben. who has Asperger's Syndrome, and his struggle to balance his quirks in a society filled with unwritten rules.

I can definitely relate to him - I've been through the same struggles growing up (and still experience them, come to think of it), and I really appreciate the outlook in which this video was based upon: that having Asperger's is a toss-up of wonderful traits and qualities that our society may seem as a little odd. In the documentary, Reuben is portrayed as an endearing, enthusiastic person whom I'm sure many would love to be friends with (myself included). It's also refreshing to see someone so excited to learn of his diagnosis, seeing it as an explanation for all of his quirky behavior. If mainstream culture can learn to view Asperger's and all other eccentricities in this light, then this would really help promote acceptance of those who would typically be pushed aside.

Here's Part One of Three:


Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful video! I can definitely relate to Reuben as well. I'm in college and still working on that effort to be less alien, within the socially acceptable range of difference. It makes me happy to see someone else with the same body language as my own, especially how he moves at the football match. I thought I was the only one whose body showed that excitement as much on the outside as on the inside. :)

Powered by WebRing.